Best Laser Hair Removal, NYC for Dark Skin
For decades, Laser Hair Removal was off the table for most people of color. Laser Hair technology was simply unsafe and ineffective for people of African American, Asian, and / or Latin ethnicities with dark skin tones. Enter the ND: Yag Laser. This smarter, more precise laser hair removal system has been a game-changer in Laser Hair Removal for dark skin. Here’s why the Candela Yag laser is the best laser hair removal for dark skin:
How do Lasers Work for Permanent Hair Removal?
Before we talk Yag Laser for dark skin, let’s address how lasers work for hair removal. In general, lasers use a targeted light source to travel through the skin and seek out the hair follicle. Once the beam hits the hair follicle, the light-generated heat destroys it at its base, resulting in a permanent solution for unwanted hair. But how exactly does it find the hair follicle to get the job done? Basically, the laser beam is attracted to color. A good analogy is to think about being in the sun. If you’re wearing a black shirt, it will absorb more heat than a white one. Lasers work similarly to the sun, using their light and heat to target the pigment (melanin) of the hair at the follicle.
Lasers for Hair Removal: Is Laser Hair Removal Safe for Dark Skin?
The key to permanent laser hair removal for dark skin is making sure that the laser safely and effectively finds the hair follicle. At the same time, it must also protect healthy surrounding skin. As we just said, lasers are attracted to color. However, that isn’t the end of the story. The laser must also be sophisticated enough to distinguish between the pigment in the skin and the pigment of the hair. In the past, lasers could only effectively find the hair follicle if there was a contrast between lighter skin and darker hair. When both the hair and skin were dark, a traditional laser would heat up the healthy surrounding tissue. As a result, laser hair removal on dark skin ran a serious risk of causing damage to the skin, including:
- hyperpigmentation (dark spots),
- hypopigmentation (light spots),
- blisters and, even scarring.
Does Laser Hair Removal Work on Dark Skin Tones?
Yes! In the past, the ideal candidate for laser hair had both fair skin and dark hair. More specifically, older generation lasers were safe and effective for people with Fitzpatrick Skin Tone I-III and possibly IV . The technological advances of the ND: Yag Laser have made Laser Hair Removal possible for people with Fitzpatrick Skin Tone IV, V and VI. Here’s why:
Is Laser Hair Removal Good for Dark Skin? Are Lasers Effective for Dark Skin?
The ND: Yag Laser is next-generation laser technology that offers superior safety and efficacy for use on darker skin, because of:
- Wavelength: The ND: Yag Laser operates at a higher wavelength of light, typically 1065 nm. As a result, it penetrates more deeply into the skin, targeting the hair follicle more effectively and reducing the amount of energy dispersed into surrounding tissue.
- Pulse Duration: A longer pulse duration or pulse width from the Yag Laser device assures energy is delivered over a longer period of time. This advance means the beam does not come in contact with the epidermis of the skin as often. As a result, the treatment is safer and more comfortable.
- Active Epidermal Cooling: The Candela Yag Laser comes with a dynamic cooling device (DCD), which prepares the skin for treatment by spraying the epidermis with a cooling burst of cryogen in adjustable durations — milliseconds before the laser pulse. DCD helps ensure comfortable treatment, while minimizing damage to the skin.
Don’t just take our word for it! See these references for research corroborating the safety and efficacy of the Yag Laser for dark skin:
What’s the Best Laser Hair Removal for Dark Skin, NYC? Where to Get Laser Hair Removal for Dark Skin Near Me?
Smooth Synergy is pleased to offer the Candela Yag Laser Hair Removal for dark skin. Specifically, we use the medical-grade, dual action Candela GentleMax Pro Machine, which has the clinical advantage of being able to treat all skin tones. The machine is two lasers in one, which work on different wavelengths. The Candela GentleYag Pro (an ND: Yag laser) treats darker skin types, while the Candela GentleLase (the Alexandrite laser) treats lighter skin types. Call us at 212-397-0111 to schedule an appointment with an Expert in Beauty to find out more about the options for Laser Hair Removal for dark skin. Now, more than ever, it might just be the permanent solution to unwanted hair that you’ve been looking for.