PRP: Before and After Care
PRP Therapy: What to Do Before and After PRP Treatment for Face or Décolleté
At Smooth Synergy Medical Spa, NYC, we consider you an equal partner in the success of your treatment. In order to achieve optimal results from PRP Therapy, including the Vampire Facelift, the Vampire Facial, Microneedling with PRP and the Vampire Breast Lift, please review our Pre and Post-Care Instructions for PRP Therapy:
PRP Pre-Care: What to Do Before PRP Therapy?
One Month Before PRP Treatment
- Refrain from Chemical Peel procedures on the treatment area.
Two Weeks Before
- Refrain from use of excessive or unnecessary blood thinners.
One Week Before
- Use of any Nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs (NSAIDs) including over-the-counter medications like Ibuprofen (Motrin, Aleve) and Aspirin, as well as prescription medications like Naproxen is not recommended, as these medications may interfere with platelet function.
- Use Acetaminophen (Tylenol) for pain relief, when necessary.
Three Days Before
- Avoid exfoliating agents like Retin-A, alpha or beta hydroxy acids, toners or any irritating creams on the treatment area.
- Take a course of Arnica Homeopathic tablets until a day after treatment to decrease the occurrence of bruising.
- FOR FACE ONLY: If you are prone to cold sores, notify the physician, who will prescribe a course of antiviral prophylactic treatment.
PRP Pre-Care: What to Expect on the Day of Your PRP Treatment?
The Day of Your PRP Procedure
- Arrive at your appointment with a clean, makeup free skin. Makeup wipes will be provided if not possible.
- You may experience some tenderness, swelling, redness or stinging at the injection site, immediately following injection.
- Comfort Measures:
- Be sure to eat a small meal prior to treatment, as blood will be drawn.
- A topical numbing cream can be applied before treatment.
- If you elect to receive anti-anxiety medicine, such as Xanax, the physician will provide it to you on-site.
- Pro Nox self-administered analgesic is available to reduce pain and anxiety.
- If opting for anti-anxiety medication, arrange for transportation home following treatment.
PRP Post-Care: What Aftercare is Needed Following PRP Treatment?
- Allow up to two hours for any anti-anxiety medication to wear off. Be sure you feel steady on your feet, before engaging in any activity.
- Showering and cleansing the skin are allowed. A gentle cleanser should be used on the treatment area. Apply it to the fingertips with tepid water and use gentle, circular motions on the skin.
- FOR FACE ONLY: A post-treatment kit including soothing cleanser, soothing spring water called Baby Spray and a restorative cream called Cicalfate will be given following treatment. Use liberally for soothing purposes for 7-10 days.
- Avoid exercise or strenuous activity for 24 hours.
- It’s best not to wear makeup unless it’s mineral makeup (non oil, no talc, doesn’t clog pores) for 2-3 days.
- Refrain from tanning or prolonged sun exposure for 10 days after the procedure. Apply sunscreen to the treatment area for up to two weeks to avoid incidental sun exposure.
- Avoid exfoliating agents like Retin-A, alpha or beta hydroxy acids, toners or any irritating creams / acids on the treatment area for one month.
- Comfort Measures
- Acetaminophen may be used for discomfort. Refrain from NSAIDs (see above) for seven days.
- Antihistamines, like Benadryl and Zyrtec, may be used for minor itching.
- Arnica Gel may be used for bruising.
- Cold packs or ice can relieve minor discomfort and reduce swelling. Ice for a maximum of 20 minutes per hour.
PRP Post-Care: What Recovery Can I Expect After PRP Treatment?
Post Treatment Expectations
- You may return to normal activity immediately following your procedure with the exception of strenuous exercise.
- Most side effects from the treatment should not be cause for alarm. Symptoms are usually minor and should subside in time, as a normal part of the healing process. They may be alleviated with simple over-the-counter measures, as described above.
- Immediately following treatment, the treatment area may appear very red to flushed, which usually subsides within three days.
- Mild tingling, swelling, soreness, and tenderness may occur for up to three days.
- Bruising, particularly at injection sites, may last for several weeks.
- If you are concerned about any aspect of your post-treatment recovery, please call Smooth Synergy at 212-397-0111.
What PRP Results Can I Expect? How Long Does PRP Therapy Last?
A PRP Treatment will immediately remove the superficial layer of dead skin cells, leaving you with instantly healthier and more radiant looking skin. Additionally, collagen remodeling will continue for up to a year. Find out more about the specific skin transforming results of the Vampire FaceLift, Vampire Facial, Microneedling with PRP and Vampire BreastLift.
Results of PRP treatments generally last for a year, at which time a maintenance visit should be scheduled. However, if you are targeting a specific skincare concern, appointments may be scheduled sooner. It’s best to speak with the practitioner to create a personalized treatment plan based on your individual skincare needs.
Can we send your inbox some beauty?
Be the first to get beauty tips, the latest updates, and exclusive content straight to your email inbox.
What Sets Smooth Synergy Apart?
- Established in 2002, as one the first Medical Spas in NYC
- Cutting-edge cosmetic services
- Creators of beauty treatments like the Fanny Facial
- True synergy including layering skincare modalities
- Respect for your individual skincare goals (no judgments)
- Experienced, licensed estheticians
- Medical Director, Dr. George, on site, ready to meet your skincare needs
- Real solutions and superior results
Nicole Contos, Founder and CEO, is here for you. All questions are welcome. No request is too small. Her aim? Total Beauty. All You!